Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
Newbie to Cigar World
1. Author: B.harrington.21Date: Sat, 4/20/2024, 6:03PM EST
Newbie to cigar world. I have fell in love with it and spent a good amount at local B&M before someone suggested this website. Glad I found it even though I haven’t won anything yet as I’m still trying to figure it all out. Not really looking for singles as Colorado can get expensive with the stupid excise tax and looking to pick up samplers and 5 packs.

Any suggestions on best days to buy/bid? Or cigars to try?
2. Author: danmdevriesDate: Sat, 4/20/2024, 6:45PM EST
Yeah, there's other online retailers that don't collect excise tax for your state.

Get out there and find em.
3. Author: COHoyoMan68Date: Sat, 4/20/2024, 6:58PM EST
Fellow Colorado BOTL...start low and don't forget to add that stupid tax with the shipping into your final price. Good luck!
4. Author: B.harrington.21Date: Sat, 4/20/2024, 7:02PM EST
I will definitely have to find those other retailers
5. Author: SunoverbeachDate: Sat, 4/20/2024, 7:23PM EST
Find a listing you want to try, set a max bid early, and see what happens. Over time you'll see what gets snapped up and what doesn't.

Once you win one, bid on ALL the lots. Maximize that shipping investment. All of them. You'll figure out storage later. No this plan doesn't help with the tax thing
6. Author: jeeblingDate: Sat, 4/20/2024, 9:21PM EST
Howdy B., welcome aboard. You’ll find excellent advice and friendly feedback here. May I suggest that you check out the thread on commonly used acronyms and the thread for “noobs”. I’m a noob myself. You can read some awesome reviews and discussion in the “whatcha smoking azzhats…VII” thread. Feel free to jump in when you see what it’s about. Another area you might want to lurk around in for a while is the “trades” section. Get a feel for what’s going on and how things work, get to know some of the BOTL here. You can learn a heck of a lot just by reading these threads and participating. I strongly encourage you to get in on the whatcha smoking azzhats thread and you will get a lot of details and directions from there. Glad to have you.
7. Author: TiverDate: Sun, 4/21/2024, 6:32AM EST
Man, you are doing this the right way. Get involved with the discussion before buying a whole bunch of boring.

Good advice from the above posts. Auctions can be fun, but keep perspective. Over time, if you stay invested in the hobby/pastime, you will discover cigars you like and cigars that are boring and cigars you don't like. As you begin to build up a little collection (basically a stash that provides choice to smoke at any given time) it is best to have cigars you actually like as opposed to the other two options.

Well you don't know what you don't know. So how do you avoid buying too much in the boring and don't like categories? Follow the threads mentioned above like the smoking azzhats thread. Try and buy a few fivers of affordable smokes that seem to be popular (see warning below) or appreciated or possibly some multiple sampler fivers of decent smokes (you might have to learn a bit here as probably you'll have to shop elsewhere). Then join in the nOOb PIB trade and get involved. If you have a few accepted smokes to offer, the return trades will bring additional variety for you to try. Before long you will spend ALL of you disposable income on great cigars and you'll fit right in here within the asylum. Sounds great, right?

All kidding aside, the purchasing and trading advice stands. Buying a basic stash of respectable cigars (they don't have to be expensive, you'll learn what this means) will give you some ammunition to get you into trades which gets you into a larger variety to try. There are hundreds of respectable, affordable cigars and buying and trying them all in 5 or 10 or boxes is much more difficult than getting involved in a little trading.

A little warning: There are "Big Brand Names" that are easy to buy and they sell a lot of cigars. They don't generate significant excitement in trade threads, but some are solid staples in many humidors. There are Boutique Brands, some are fairly big and popular, that aren't cost prohibitive that have earned respect. Read up and see if you can pick up a little info on the latter. They are generally more desirable in the trade threads because even more seasoned smokers may like to try them.

Welcome and join in
8. Author: B.harrington.21Date: Sun, 4/21/2024, 11:25AM EST
Thanks Tiver. Sending you a PM to find out more about trading.
9. Author: B.harrington.21Date: Sun, 4/21/2024, 11:46AM EST
Jeebling I definitely need to find that acronyms post. And I’m also going to read up on those suggestions for threads.
10. Author: jeeblingDate: Sun, 4/21/2024, 12:10PM EST
B.harrington.21 wrote:
Jeebling I definitely need to find that acronyms post. And I’m also going to read up on those suggestions for threads.

B. , back up one from the “trades” section and go to “cigar discussion “ and scroll down, it is only 5 or 6 threads down. I’m attempting to provide a link but I usually screw this up.

https://www.cigarbid.com...INFO-PLEASE-READ-v-2-1-3
11. Author: jeeblingDate: Sun, 4/21/2024, 12:12PM EST
Looks like it worked. Try this one as well and I suggest you start on the very last page because that’s where the updated list is.

https://www.cigarbid.com...yms-and-Abbrevs-Rev-1217
12. Author: ChenoDate: Sun, 4/21/2024, 1:01PM EST
Another good informative topic where you can learn a few things
https://www.cigarbid.com...hallenge-The-Thonginator
13. Author: TiverDate: Sun, 4/21/2024, 1:19PM EST
I see Cheno is laying out the welcome mat !!!
14. Author: B.harrington.21Date: Sun, 4/21/2024, 1:35PM EST
Thanks for that Cheno. Definitely got me to chuckle. Such a great welcoming present.
15. Author: cashmoneydaveDate: Sun, 4/21/2024, 3:49PM EST
Welcome to the world of cigars!

Try lots of stuff to figure out what flavors you like. Try different wrapper, binder, filler combos. Try tobac from different regions. Try each cigar twice before deciding you don’t like it. Then be prepared to revisit ones you didn’t like at first once your palate gets refined. Then start buying two, smoke one age one!
16. Author: PalamaDate: Sun, 4/21/2024, 4:19PM EST
cashmoneydave wrote:
Welcome to the world of cigars!

Try lots of stuff to figure out what flavors you like. Try different wrapper, binder, filler combos. Try tobac from different regions. Try each cigar twice before deciding you don’t like it. Then be prepared to revisit ones you didn’t like at first once your palate gets refined. Then start buying two, smoke one age one!

B - iffin' you take CMD's sage advice then you're gonna need more storage. Herfing
17. Author: B.harrington.21Date: Sun, 4/21/2024, 4:53PM EST
Well just found a 100 count humidor on marketplace for super cheap. Time to fill her up.
18. Author: TiverDate: Sun, 4/21/2024, 5:06PM EST
B.harrington.21 wrote:
Well just found a 100 count humidor on marketplace for super cheap. Time to fill her up.

As in FB marketplace? Prolly hasn't been used in a while so it will need to be re-seasoned. I got a free used humidor a while back. Pretty nice domed glass lid. 'Bout a hundred count. I lightly sanded and cleaned out the inside with isopropyl alcohol, then re-seasoned. Didn't want anything nasty hitchhiking from an unknown.
19. Author: jeeblingDate: Sun, 4/21/2024, 5:08PM EST
B.harrington.21 wrote:
Newbie to cigar world. I have fell in love with it and spent a good amount at local B&M before someone suggested this website. Glad I found it even though I haven’t won anything yet as I’m still trying to figure it all out. Not really looking for singles as Colorado can get expensive with the stupid excise tax and looking to pick up samplers and 5 packs.

Any suggestions on best days to buy/bid? Or cigars to try?

It just occurred to me to mention the Tuesday Power Hour auction on CBid. They sometimes have a great deal that you can snag BUT my experience is that that particular auction gets a heckuva lot of over bidding. You might try checking prices on fivers you want to try at the sister site to CBid which is Cigars International (CI). It’s the same company. Shipping prices are the same so it stands to reason that you would not want to bid more here on CB than you’d have to pay at CI.
ALSO, there has been some great advice shared in the forums about overbidding. One way to prevent that is to begin with a ‘rule” to go by. Such as never paying more than 50% or 70% of listed MSRP (whatever % you’re comfortable with). If you do win a bid, you’re going to have to pay shipping. So, you may as well try to catch a bid on something else to reduce your overall shipping costs. You can also go to your account settings and choose a day of the week you want your orders shipped. This means everything you’ve purchased is shipped together in one box and that keeps shipping costs low. Singles are generally more expensive per cigar than a fiver or tenski, especially if you buy a single and it ships separately. Suddenly you’ve got a very overpriced cigar.

These thoughts are just my opinions and observations. Other, more experienced brothers here can help you more.
20. Author: B.harrington.21Date: Sun, 4/21/2024, 5:32PM EST
Yes Tiver. Found on FB. It had a dried up 69% Boveda pack in it. I plan on getting some of those seasoning wipes, but didn’t think about alcohol to clean it out. I have 4 60 gram packs I was going to throw in it and get it back up once wiped down or buy one the those 8oz black ice humicare jars.
21. Author: TiverDate: Sun, 4/21/2024, 6:22PM EST
Can you share what cigars you have enjoyed or not enjoyed? Have you developed any preference for wrapper leaf or cigar size or other characteristic? Just trying to get an idea what part of the journey you're on.

Also, there's a thread somewhere for an introduction. I don't remember where, but someone here knows. There are some questions some of the folks here like to ask noobs.

22. Author: B.harrington.21Date: Sun, 4/21/2024, 6:35PM EST
What I have tried so far:

Macanudo Hyde Park
M by Macanudo Espresso with cream
Perdomo Champagne
Perdomo 10th Annie (Maduro)
Perdomo 12 year Vintage
Avo classic
Padron 3000 & 5000
Drew Estates Legends Black
Karen Berger Maduro
Karen Berger Fire
Punch Diablo
Gurkha Ghost Shadow

I honestly don’t know what flavor profile I’m shooting for yet. I like the mellow ones but also really enjoy Maduros the most so far. Enjoy the coffee, cocoa, and chocolate flavors.
23. Author: jeeblingDate: Sun, 4/21/2024, 8:16PM EST
Nice list you got there. If you’re in the mood for a mellow cigar like the Macanudo Hyde Park, you might try the old standby Montecristo classic. I recommend it because it is inexpensive and my thoughts are that there is no need to pay for top shelf expensive cigars while you’re still training your palette to different wrappers and deciding which vitolas you prefer.
I can recommend a cheap Camaroon wrapper to try out which is the La Perla Habana Black Pearl. A cheap Sumatra wrapper I can recommend is the La Perla Habana Black Pearl Morado. Both of these wrappers have a distinct character and will help you quickly train your palette to different tobacco. You shouldn’t have to pay more than about $14 so start your bid lower, like lower than $10 for a fiver of Robusto. The NUB samplers have a terrific variety of Habano, Camaroon, Connecticut, and Maduro and they are easy to snag 6 packs @ $19 or less and 10 packs $29 or less. I think NUB is pretty good, especially for the price but YMMV. There are plenty of decent cigars at decent prices that the other guys can recommend.
24. Author: danmdevriesDate: Sun, 4/21/2024, 8:23PM EST
B.harrington.21 wrote:
Yes Tiver. Found on FB. It had a dried up 69% Boveda pack in it. I plan on getting some of those seasoning wipes, but didn’t think about alcohol to clean it out. I have 4 60 gram packs I was going to throw in it and get it back up once wiped down or buy one the those 8oz black ice humicare jars.

Skip the gel jars. Stick with bovedas.

And I'd also recommend just going sealed system with bovedas and not fighting with a wooden box.
25. Author: B.harrington.21Date: Sun, 4/21/2024, 8:53PM EST
danmdevries wrote:
Skip the gel jars. Stick with bovedas.

And I'd also recommend just going sealed system with bovedas and not fighting with a wooden box.

I do have a tupperdor setup as well. I wanted to try my hand at the ol’ traditional way of a humidor.
26. Author: B.harrington.21Date: Sun, 4/21/2024, 8:55PM EST
jeebling wrote:
Nice list you got there. If you’re in the mood for a mellow cigar like the Macanudo Hyde Park, you might try the old standby Montecristo classic. I recommend it because it is inexpensive and my thoughts are that there is no need to pay for top shelf expensive cigars while you’re still training your palette to different wrappers and deciding which vitolas you prefer.
I can recommend a cheap Camaroon wrapper to try out which is the La Perla Habana Black Pearl. A cheap Sumatra wrapper I can recommend is the La Perla Habana Black Pearl Morado. Both of these wrappers have a distinct character and will help you quickly train your palette to different tobacco. You shouldn’t have to pay more than about $14 so start your bid lower, like lower than $10 for a fiver of Robusto. The NUB samplers have a terrific variety of Habano, Camaroon, Connecticut, and Maduro and they are easy to snag 6 packs @ $19 or less and 10 packs $29 or less. I think NUB is pretty good, especially for the price but YMMV. There are plenty of decent cigars at decent prices that the other guys can recommend.

I’m trying to win me some Nubs and Cristos currently. This site is gonna get me in trouble with the wife.
27. Author: Huzza3045Date: Sun, 4/21/2024, 8:59PM EST
B.harrington.21 wrote:
I’m trying to win me some Nubs and Cristos currently. This site is gonna get me in trouble with the wife.

Id consider getting on the email list for the online cigar store with a monkey as the mascot, they usually have pretty solid sales. I feel like bidding usually stops close to MSRP here.
28. Author: jeeblingDate: Mon, 4/22/2024, 12:10PM EST
B., to continue with my ramblings I want to mention resting and aging your cigars. This has been a real growing pain for me. I hope you get a lot of advice on this topic from other BOTL (Brother of the Leaf) here. It seems to me that the darker oily wrappers like Broadleaf (BL) or Mexican San Andres (MSA) do better with a very long rest as in 3 months or longer and the lighter wrappers like Connecticut or Cameroon (both natural not Maduro/Oscuro) only need a couple weeks in order to adjust to the Relative Humidity (RH) in your storage. That is not to say that some Maddies (Maduro) you can’t smoke right off the truck (ROTT) or that some Connies (Connecticut) and Cammies (Cameroons) don’t get better with time. There is a lot of discussion on this topic.
Having said that, if you enjoy dark smokes like the Punch Diablo, you might consider getting a fiver and plan to let it rest in your storage for several months before smoking them. This, of course, will require some planning so that you have something to smoke in the near term while a hoard of cigars are just sitting in the box resting.
(Of course the wife will see this as a brilliant strategy and investment lol)

Stay Smokey!
29. Author: B.harrington.21Date: Mon, 4/22/2024, 7:27PM EST
jeebling wrote:
B., to continue with my ramblings I want to mention resting and aging your cigars. This has been a real growing pain for me. I hope you get a lot of advice on this topic from other BOTL (Brother of the Leaf) here. It seems to me that the darker oily wrappers like Broadleaf (BL) or Mexican San Andres (MSA) do better with a very long rest as in 3 months or longer and the lighter wrappers like Connecticut or Cameroon (both natural not Maduro/Oscuro) only need a couple weeks in order to adjust to the Relative Humidity (RH) in your storage. That is not to say that some Maddies (Maduro) you can’t smoke right off the truck (ROTT) or that some Connies (Connecticut) and Cammies (Cameroons) don’t get better with time. There is a lot of discussion on this topic.
Having said that, if you enjoy dark smokes like the Punch Diablo, you might consider getting a fiver and plan to let it rest in your storage for several months before smoking them. This, of course, will require some planning so that you have something to smoke in the near term while a hoard of cigars are just sitting in the box resting.
(Of course the wife will see this as a brilliant strategy and investment lol)

Stay Smokey!

Man that Punch Diablo was a strong one for me I felt like. I just had a MSA and enjoyed it very much. My local B&M and suggested some good stuff though. I enjoy trying a bunch of different stuff until my palette comes to me.
30. Author: B.harrington.21Date: Wed, 4/24/2024, 8:23AM EST
jeebling wrote:
It just occurred to me to mention the Tuesday Power Hour auction on CBid. They sometimes have a great deal that you can snag BUT my experience is that that particular auction gets a heckuva lot of over bidding. You might try checking prices on fivers you want to try at the sister site to CBid which is Cigars International (CI). It’s the same company. Shipping prices are the same so it stands to reason that you would not want to bid more here on CB than you’d have to pay at CI.
ALSO, there has been some great advice shared in the forums about overbidding. One way to prevent that is to begin with a ‘rule” to go by. Such as never paying more than 50% or 70% of listed MSRP (whatever % you’re comfortable with). If you do win a bid, you’re going to have to pay shipping. So, you may as well try to catch a bid on something else to reduce your overall shipping costs. You can also go to your account settings and choose a day of the week you want your orders shipped. This means everything you’ve purchased is shipped together in one box and that keeps shipping costs low. Singles are generally more expensive per cigar than a fiver or tenski, especially if you buy a single and it ships separately. Suddenly you’ve got a very overpriced cigar.

These thoughts are just my opinions and observations. Other, more experienced brothers here can help you more.

Thanks for this tidbit. I will definitely find a percentage I’m comfortable with. That was something I didn’t even think about.
31. Author: hnixon12Date: Wed, 5/1/2024, 2:47PM EST
Jaime, how come you didnt ask if he likes to go camping? LOL! sincerely, your Pepin Rolled Boy
32. Author: KingoftheCoveDate: Wed, 5/1/2024, 3:25PM EST
hnixon12 wrote:
Jaime, how come you didnt ask if he likes to go camping? LOL! sincerely, your Pepin Rolled Boy

This summer is all booked up…
Lots of excited noobs just waiting for the “Z Treatment”….
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic