Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
FirstPrev45678NextLast
What are you reading?
251. Author: Mikekoz13Date: Thu, 7/7/2016, 1:54PM EST
"Lessons My Father Taught Me" by Michael Reagan
252. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Sun, 7/10/2016, 8:49PM EST
Outlaw Platoon- Sean Parnell.

Non fiction work about an Army infantry unit on the edge of the Hindu Kush in Afghanistan.

Have never read anything like it. I've always had an appreciation for the people in the military and the price they pay for our freedoms. This is a deeper dive. The price these people pay during and well after their tours has shaken me.

I'm certainly not "enjoying" the book. It feels the smallest bit like a year long deployment.

-I looked forward to it.
-A third of the way through, I wondered what I got myself into.
-As disturbing as it is, I need to just put my head down and power through to the end.

My understanding of PTSD is greatly increased.

Still, I'm sure I don't even remotely have a clue.
253. Author: Plowboy221Date: Mon, 8/8/2016, 4:24PM EST
The Immortal Irishman by Timothy Egan
254. Author: MACSDate: Mon, 8/8/2016, 5:40PM EST
Just finished "The Warded Man" by Peter Brett. This book was so good I powered through 450 pages in a week.

Currently reading "Brayan's Gold/The Great Bazaar" by Brett. Two short stories, already done with the first.

On tap: "The Desert Spear" by Brett. On my night stand, waiting in line...
255. Author: riverdogDate: Tue, 8/9/2016, 2:28PM EST
Just finished "Grapes of Wrath" for the first time. Never read it in school. What a powerful, powerful book. I'd of grown up even more of a commie, red, pinko libtard than I already am if I'd read it in my formative years.;-o
256. Author: jjaneckaDate: Tue, 8/9/2016, 3:01PM EST
I liked that flowers for Algernon story alot. It was about this big retarded mutant that they performed brain surgery on who became a genius and then later on in a race for time he becomes a retard again. Kinda reminds me of that point in my life right before I started drinking.
257. Author: frankj1Date: Tue, 8/9/2016, 6:49PM EST
riverdog wrote:
Just finished "Grapes of Wrath" for the first time. Never read it in school. What a powerful, powerful book. I'd of grown up even more of a commie, red, pinko libtard than I already am if I'd read it in my formative years.;-o

well I read it in school and I'm...

never mind.
258. Author: rumraiderDate: Tue, 8/9/2016, 7:09PM EST
8trackdisco wrote:
Fahrenheit 451.

About halfway home; reading the book and seeing many similarities to what Bradbury predicted in 1953.

If you havent read "Brave New World" by Huxley, it's worth the time. The first 25 pages or so are tough to get through but then it takes off and you're hooked. It's amazing that he predicted stuff so long ago that we still are watching to see if it comes true. Just the theme of the rise of technology and the question of whether it is better to have little control over your decisions and be happy vs self determnation and being able to make yourself miserable with bad decisions is worth pondering
259. Author: drnosDate: Tue, 8/9/2016, 7:10PM EST
riverdog wrote:

Great book!

I did read it in high school, but there's no way any 16 year old can grasp the pathos. I got so much more out of re-reading it last year.

I'm now re- reading Two Years Before the Mast for its description of 1830s California.
260. Author: KingoftheCoveDate: Tue, 8/9/2016, 7:28PM EST
Just finished "No Country For Old Men".......in a day......great read.
Kinda glad I saw the movie first..........the other way around?.....I woulda been bummed about the movie.
261. Author: riverdogDate: Wed, 8/10/2016, 8:34AM EST
frankj1 wrote:
well I read it in school and I'm...

never mind.

Herfing
262. Author: riverdogDate: Wed, 8/10/2016, 8:38AM EST
drnos wrote:
Great book!

I did read it in high school, but there's no way any 16 year old can grasp the pathos. I got so much more out of re-reading it last year.

I'm now re- reading Two Years Before the Mast for its description of 1830s California.

Agreed. Some of the greatest characters ever - Ma Joad, Tom Joad, the preacher.......
263. Author: riverdogDate: Wed, 8/10/2016, 8:45AM EST
KingoftheCove wrote:
Just finished "No Country For Old Men".......in a day......great read.
Kinda glad I saw the movie first..........the other way around?.....I woulda been bummed about the movie.

The scope of McCarthy's novels is beyond anything you can capture on film. And he continues to evolve. His early stuff is incredible - Child of God, The Orchard Keeper, Blood Meridian, Suttree....
264. Author: KingoftheCoveDate: Wed, 8/10/2016, 10:01AM EST
riverdog wrote:
The scope of McCarthy's novels is beyond anything you can capture on film. And he continues to evolve. His early stuff is incredible - Child of God, The Orchard Keeper, Blood Meridian, Suttree....

Just started Blood Meridian.............good so far........still getting used to his style of prose, and the unorthodox manner in which he chooses to punctuate dialog........or more accurately, doesn't punctuate dialog.
265. Author: frankj1Date: Wed, 8/10/2016, 12:28PM EST
riverdog wrote:
Agreed. Some of the greatest characters ever - Ma Joad, Tom Joad, the preacher.......

Henry Fonda.
266. Author: riverdogDate: Wed, 8/10/2016, 3:14PM EST
KingoftheCove wrote:
Just started Blood Meridian.............good so far........still getting used to his style of prose, and the unorthodox manner in which he chooses to punctuate dialog........or more accurately, doesn't punctuate dialog.

Heheheh, try Peter Matthiessen's "Far Tortuga" if you want to forego punctuation.Herfing
267. Author: Mr. JonesDate: Thu, 8/11/2016, 10:05PM EST
A paperback...

I "picked up" in the outlet bin area of the Ashville,
NC, GOODWILL....

IT BE CALLED...

"Mad Dogs"

Famous action author...
I think he wrote " Three Days of the Condor"

Max Von Sydow:
.....it will happen like this...someday...
Your walking along a street...
And someone..you know very well...will pull over and
WILL open the car door and offer you a lift...
268. Author: frankj1Date: Thu, 8/11/2016, 10:18PM EST
riverdog wrote:
Heheheh, try Peter Matthiessen's "Far Tortuga" if you want to forego punctuation.Herfing

or Gabriel Garcia Marquez's The Autumn of the Patriarch. Commas, but not may periods, and I don't recall one paragraph break.
269. Author: MACSDate: Thu, 8/11/2016, 10:33PM EST
frankj1 wrote:
or Gabriel Garcia Marquez's The Autumn of the Patriarch. Commas, but not may periods, and I don't recall one paragraph break.

That would drive me batsh*t crazy, and make me want to hunt him down and slap him senseless.

Started 'The Desert Spear' by Peter Brett last night.

Anyone who appreciates fantasy should read 2 series: The Deathgate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, and The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind.
270. Author: riverdogDate: Fri, 8/12/2016, 1:01PM EST
frankj1 wrote:

I may give it a shot. I'll give it 75 pages.Beer
271. Author: frankj1Date: Fri, 8/12/2016, 7:10PM EST
riverdog wrote:
I may give it a shot. I'll give it 75 pages.Beer

it was really a grind. I only read it because I loved his writing style with long, detailed descriptive sentences in the first few I read...Love in the Time of Cholera and One Hundred Years of Solitude. They were much better IMHO.

272. Author: frankj1Date: Fri, 8/12/2016, 7:13PM EST
Also, The General in His Labyrinth (sort of about Bolivar) was a better read by far.
273. Author: frankj1Date: Fri, 8/12/2016, 7:16PM EST
unless you love a stream of consciousness streaming from an insane mind.
274. Author: riverdogDate: Sat, 8/13/2016, 7:06PM EST
frankj1 wrote:
unless you love a stream of consciousness streaming from an insane mind.

The only thing of his I've read is 'Hundred Years' and enjoyed that. Stream of consciousness from an insane mind... I still re and re-read Dylan Thomas poetry and short fiction.Herfing
275. Author: chazboDate: Sat, 8/13/2016, 9:07PM EST
Just finished, The road to little dribbling, by Bill Bryson
About his travels through Britian
276. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Sat, 8/13/2016, 10:29PM EST
The Rivals Game.
277. Author: frankj1Date: Sun, 8/14/2016, 10:21PM EST
riverdog wrote:
The only thing of his I've read is 'Hundred Years' and enjoyed that. Stream of consciousness from an insane mind... I still re and re-read Dylan Thomas poetry and short fiction.Herfing

if you read 100 years and liked it, go for Love in the Time . At least you won't have to try to keep a few generations of families straight...just 51 years of one guy in love.

I don't really read much these days, at least not much literature, and was never a "best seller list" reader. The last few years I've read about Cod, the Dust Bowl, and the Boston Molasses Flood...but for years it was about the author's sentence construction and detail, and Marquez just blew my mind. No one ever walked up a staircase, they ascended the structure while the intoxicating aroma of the almond trees competed with the dank mustiness off the bogs that rode in with the southeasterly breezes that announced April in a way that...........

and all the character was doing was going to his bedroom!

too tedious for anyone other than word freaks.
278. Author: ChooochDate: Mon, 8/22/2016, 1:22AM EST
Speaking of tedious, finally finished Moby ******.

Now it's time for something easy- Italy, A Short History by Harry Hearder. Gotta learn about the motherland.
279. Author: Mr. JonesDate: Mon, 8/22/2016, 11:33AM EST
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep

By Phillip K. D#ck
280. Author: riverdogDate: Mon, 8/22/2016, 1:37PM EST
frankj1 wrote:
if you read 100 years and liked it, go for Love in the Time . At least you won't have to try to keep a few generations of families straight...just 51 years of one guy in love.

I don't really read much these days, at least not much literature, and was never a "best seller list" reader. The last few years I've read about Cod, the Dust Bowl, and the Boston Molasses Flood...but for years it was about the author's sentence construction and detail, and Marquez just blew my mind. No one ever walked up a staircase, they ascended the structure while the intoxicating aroma of the almond trees competed with the dank mustiness off the bogs that rode in with the southeasterly breezes that announced April in a way that...........

and all the character was doing was going to his bedroom!

too tedious for anyone other than word freaks.

Sorry Frank. Just saw this response. Words and language and the way they fit is a funny thing. I almost blew off reading Marquez at all as he was recommended to me by the same person who recommended Paulo Coelho. After several attempts at reading The Alchemist I gave up on it as something that just didn't work for me. On the other hand it took several starts on Faulkner's Absalom, Absalom to get past page 70... and when I did I loved it. Go figure.Herfing
281. Author: BurDate: Mon, 8/22/2016, 5:16PM EST
Same for me with the Tolkien Lord of the Rings Trilogy. After two previous attempts that never made it past a few pages into The Two Towers if that far, last summer I decided to give it one more go.

Re-read Hobbit for the fourth time, in something like two days.

Checked out the Trilogy, and BOOM read all three in less than two weeks. Couldn't put them down.

BTW never seen ANY TV shows or movies made out of the books, not sure they would work for me.

Just finished "The Richest Man in Babylon" by George Classon. A classic on basic personal finance, if you like allegories. If you want a handbook type guide, it won't be for you.
282. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Sat, 9/10/2016, 8:40PM EST
Hitler's Children.

Follows the lives of the children of the Nazi war criminals.
283. Author: dkeageDate: Fri, 9/16/2016, 8:02AM EST
The Jealous Kind

James Lee Burke
284. Author: gummy jonesDate: Fri, 9/16/2016, 8:29AM EST
some suggestions for the idle

http://townhall.com/columnists/thomassowell/2016/09/14/election-year-books-n2216610
285. Author: cameroonDate: Fri, 9/16/2016, 12:46PM EST
Dogs of War, FF. Oldie but a goodie
286. Author: tailgaterDate: Fri, 9/16/2016, 3:02PM EST
I'm reading on my Kindle.

So I have no friggin idea what I'm actually reading.

Honest.
It's a huge issue with me.
There is no book cover to see, no author's name to read. Just the last bookmarked page to automatically open to.

I'll finish a book without knowing the name or author.

287. Author: frankj1Date: Fri, 9/16/2016, 3:29PM EST
tailgater wrote:
I'm reading on my Kindle.

So I have no friggin idea what I'm actually reading.

Honest.
It's a huge issue with me.
There is no book cover to see, no author's name to read. Just the last bookmarked page to automatically open to.

I'll finish a book without knowing the name or author.

even the pictures don't give it away?
288. Author: tailgaterDate: Fri, 9/16/2016, 6:07PM EST
frankj1 wrote:
even the pictures don't give it away?

Can't tell Jane from D1ck.

289. Author: frankj1Date: Fri, 9/16/2016, 6:11PM EST
did ya take the day off Joe?
290. Author: SpeysideDate: Fri, 9/16/2016, 7:53PM EST
Principles of Philosophy, Rene Descartes.
291. Author: riverdogDate: Sat, 9/17/2016, 8:49AM EST
Honey from the Lion - Matthew Null, outstanding first novel, historical look at WVa at turn of century, timber barons, labor unions, natural history.....
292. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Sat, 11/26/2016, 11:02AM EST
True Evil. Greg Iles.

Not nearly in the ball park of Quiet Game or Turning Angel. Overall.... Meh for 500 pages with a decent ending.
293. Author: ChooochDate: Sat, 11/26/2016, 11:36AM EST
Ham on Rye
Factotum
Post Office

All by Charles Bukowski.
love his direct style. Words like fists.
294. Author: dkeageDate: Sat, 11/26/2016, 12:18PM EST
8trackdisco wrote:
True Evil. Greg Iles.

Not nearly in the ball park of Quiet Game or Turning Angel. Overall.... Meh for 500 pages with a decent ending.

The final book in his Trilogy comes out in March....

Night School. Lee Child. Meh
295. Author: MACSDate: Sat, 11/26/2016, 11:01PM EST
I read all the Demon Cycle books by Peter V Brett. The final book, infuriatingly, is still being written.

I am now onto Brent Weeks' Night Angel Trilogy. Quite interesting so far.
296. Author: BurDate: Sun, 11/27/2016, 9:21PM EST
About seven books at once, and all over the map-Christian devotionals, zen and yoga guides, finance, personal development, shop manual for the bike.....

And yes, I've read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" twice, and the sequel once. It's even trippier
297. Author: thursonDate: Mon, 11/28/2016, 11:15AM EST
The Boys in the Boat, by Daniel James Brown.

Being a fan of U Dub athletics, and rowing in particular, it was a must read for me.
298. Author: chazboDate: Mon, 11/28/2016, 8:41PM EST
thurson wrote:
The Boys in the Boat, by Daniel James Brown.

Being a fan of U Dub athletics, and rowing in particular, it was a must read for me.

That was a awesome book. Loved itApplause
299. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Sun, 1/29/2017, 6:54PM EST
The Count of Monte Cristo.

I'm in deep water now, with a long way to go.
300. Author: qmechDate: Sun, 1/29/2017, 6:58PM EST
Why Jesus by Ravi Zacharias good read for non Christian and Christian alike..
Q
FirstPrev45678NextLast
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic