America's #1 Online Cigar Auction
first, best, biggest!

Last post 2 weeks ago by gummy jones. 19 replies replies.
frombeyondthegrave . . . and back.
sfg391 Offline
#1 Posted:
Joined: 01-12-2014
Posts: 20
Brothers,
It is my sad duty to inform you that dpnewell, the man the myth, the legend, has returned to the grave.

The account he had set up, frombeyondthegrave, was fine for posting and PMs, but as soon as he tried to place an order . . . BOOM . . . the account froze up locked him out.

Sooooooo . . . RIP dpnewell (again)

If anyone needs to get in touch with him but can't, give me a shout .
I will also be posting random stuff from Dave, as he sends it to me.


sfg
KingoftheCove Offline
#2 Posted:
Joined: 10-08-2011
Posts: 3,864
That is simply utter bullchit!
I'm going to be positive and assume it's a software "glitch".



bassman45 Offline
#3 Posted:
Joined: 07-05-2009
Posts: 3,599
Wow!Really? SMH
gummy jones Offline
#4 Posted:
Joined: 07-06-2015
Posts: 4,650
now you have me interested as to why he was kicked out in the first place
cameroon Offline
#5 Posted:
Joined: 04-06-2014
Posts: 487
gummy jones wrote:
now you have me interested as to why he was kicked out in the first place


+1

Something about this story seems a little off. Emphasis on the "seems"
KingoftheCove Offline
#6 Posted:
Joined: 10-08-2011
Posts: 3,864
cameroon wrote:
+1

Something about this story seems a little off. Emphasis on the "seems"

Oh, I could give you the blow by blow.
I could reveal what I think as to the who and why.

Prolly just get me banned.

Hoping I'm wrong..................holding on to the software glitch explanation.
dstieger Offline
#7 Posted:
Joined: 06-22-2007
Posts: 6,916
IIRC, David aggressively challenged some reblending/rebranding practices. Not sure if CI/CBID was culpable, complicit or just another 'victim' in the supply chain.....regardless, I think that he called them out in a combative or repetitive fashion that torqued one or more minotaurs. Seems he knew he was poking the beast, but a righteous sense of truth (that has no place anywhere near here, of course) compelled him to fight to the death.....or something similar, but less epic :)
victor809 Offline
#8 Posted:
Joined: 10-14-2011
Posts: 12,067
Well.... that and he got SvenR pregnant...
delta1 Offline
#9 Posted:
Joined: 11-23-2011
Posts: 10,069
Yep, he blasted internet purveyors of cigars and cigar makers for entering into licensing agreements that allowed the internet companies to make "authentic blends" of cigars and use the factory's labels on them and sell them as authentic factory made. AVO was an example...iirc...
cameroon Offline
#10 Posted:
Joined: 04-06-2014
Posts: 487
Interesting
gummy jones Offline
#11 Posted:
Joined: 07-06-2015
Posts: 4,650
delta1 wrote:
Yep, he blasted internet purveyors of cigars and cigar makers for entering into licensing agreements that allowed the internet companies to make "authentic blends" of cigars and use the factory's labels on them and sell them as authentic factory made. AVO was an example...iirc...


that sounds awful
essentially "legal" fakes
dstieger Offline
#12 Posted:
Joined: 06-22-2007
Posts: 6,916
My memory blows....but, I think the argument 'for' revolves around the claim that no 'current' or 'active' brand is ever faked....but that retired labels are 'revived', but may not resemble the original.

Suppliers can, at least legally/technically, claim they're well within their rights to resurrect a previously used name....look at cars....whodathunk you'd be able to buy a new Dart, or Camaro, Beetle or Thunderbird?

Cigar buyers, on the other hand, sometimes feel cheated.....bands and description nearly identical; and manufacturers and blends kept secret....deceit seems to be intended, even if it didn't really start out that way
Just Relax Offline
#13 Posted:
Joined: 09-26-2016
Posts: 212
So now the high ratings make sense to me.
Thunder.Gerbil Offline
#14 Posted:
Joined: 11-02-2006
Posts: 118,606
Just Relax wrote:
So now the high ratings make sense to me.


Yeah, just like beer, wine & booze, when something gets a high rating or medal one year, you can put that on the label. A few years later, or even the next batch, you can change the ingredients, blend or procedure and are still allowed to use the rating/medal for marketing purposes.

jespear Offline
#15 Posted:
Joined: 03-19-2004
Posts: 6,709
dstieger wrote:
IIRC, David aggressively challenged some reblending/rebranding practices. Not sure if CI/CBID was culpable, complicit or just another 'victim' in the supply chain.....regardless, I think that he called them out in a combative or repetitive fashion that torqued one or more minotaurs. Seems he knew he was poking the beast, but a righteous sense of truth (that has no place anywhere near here, of course) compelled him to fight to the death.....or something similar, but less epic :)


In his defense . . . David was dealing with a food allergy (gluten) at the time, and he wasn't aware of it. His reaction to this allergy was that it made him a little bit testy . . . Alright, it made him downright belligerent, but once he found out about it and altered his diet, he went back to being the lovable BOTL that we all knew he was.


jes
victor809 Offline
#16 Posted:
Joined: 10-14-2011
Posts: 12,067
Is that the Twinkie defense?
frankj1 Offline
#17 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 15,177
victor809 wrote:
Is that the Twinkie defense?

how I wish I thought of that first!
Mr. Jones Online
#18 Posted:
Joined: 06-12-2005
Posts: 8,256
Central PA womens'
Love my gluten free LOADS....
gummy jones Offline
#19 Posted:
Joined: 07-06-2015
Posts: 4,650
Mr. Jones wrote:
Central PA womens'
Love my gluten free LOADS....


d'oh!
Users browsing this topic
Guest